This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to develop, enter and verify programs for programmable logic controller (PLC) (also known as programmable controller) for a system requiring discrete control functions.
It includes working safely, using control systems and control system development methods, using ladder diagrams/statement list/function block diagram instruction sets, following written instructions, and documenting program development and testing activities.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* applying relevant work health and safety (WHS)/occupational health and safety (OHS) requirements, including identifying programmable logic controller (PLC) risk control measures
* connecting the PLC
* correcting programming anomalies
* dealing with unplanned situations in accordance with workplace procedures in a manner that minimises risk to persons and control equipment
* developing applications for PLC functions including operation and programming of inputs and outputs
* developing a control system solution to specified operating functions and parameters
* developing a PLC block diagram, including identifying industry standard PLC symbols
* documenting control system and programming
* identifying PLC modules and applications
* programming a PLC using industry standard methods such as master control, jump, shift register, step sequencing, timers and counters
* testing and verify control system inputs and outputs operation
* transferring programs to PLC
* documenting control system and programming clearly
* identifying non-compliance conditions of device installation
* converting control system to a PLC program
* entering programming functions and parameters correctly
* transferring program to external storage.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):