This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to design and apply make-up for photographic shoots in natural and artificial light.
It requires the ability to select products and tools to apply photographic make-up in response to a brief from a client or stylist engaged in a photo shoot.
This unit applies to beauticians, beauty therapists and make-up artists who work in beauty salons, make-up studios and photography shoot settings requiring make-up services. In this environment they work as part of the creative team, make informed creative decisions and have knowledge and skills across a range of specialised make-up products and application techniques.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• apply safe and appropriate make-up in at least three of the following photography contexts:
• demonstrate make-up applications suitable for each of the following:
• artificial light
• natural light
• studio conditions
• provide make-up services for print outcomes:
• black and white images
• colour images
• design and record make-up plans for each client specifying details of:
• areas requiring correction or camouflage
• camera angles and shots
• colour design
• dramatic considerations
• continuity issues
• face shape
• skin colour and tone
• highlighting and shading techniques
• make-up products and equipment
• product application procedures
• single appearance
• testing arrangements.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):