This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to attach flexible cord and plug to electrical equipment for connection to a single phase supplies up to 230 volts (V) alternating current (a.c.) supply.
It includes planning and attaching flexible cord and plug, using test equipment for inspection and safety testing. It also includes locating, inspecting, testing and repairing faults in flexible cords and plugs.
This unit does not cover the knowledge and skills necessary for work associated with high current faults on complex electrical apparatus, circuits and electrical work; in hazardous areas or on electrical equipment that is part of an explosion-protection technique; nor, work associated with fixed wiring.The skills and knowledge described in this unit require a licence or permit to practice in the workplace where work is carried out on electrical installations which are designed to operate at voltages greater than 50 V a.c. or 120 V direct current (d.c.).
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* applying relevant industry standards
* applying relevant work health and safety (WHS)/occupational health and safety (OHS) requirements, including using risk control measures
* applying quality to workplace procedures and instructions
* attaching flexible cord/s and plug/s and without damage
* inspecting flexible cords and plugs for damage, faults or abnormalities
* dealing with unplanned events in accordance with problem-solving techniques and workplace procedures
* determining the current rating of a range of commonly used flexible cords
* drawing of a basic electrical circuit using correct symbols
* testing flexible cords, plugs and connected equipment for operation and safety up to 230 volts (V) alternating current (a.c.), including polarity and continuity testing
* finding and repairing faults in attached flexible cords and plugs in accordance with established procedures
* preparing to attach flexible cord and plug supplies up to 230 V a.c. supply
* providing status report/s
* using testing equipment
* selecting appropriate flexible cords for a range of single phase appliances relating to application, load and service duty
* identifying correct plug and socket polarities for the range of commonly used 230 V plug socket combinations
* selecting the correct plug and socket combinations for a range of applications, including use in damp areas
* fitting a range of various plugs and sockets with attention to requirements, colour code, polarity and correct termination of conductors with the sheath well into the body, and the cord grip anchored
* terminating cords to several appliances utilising the appropriate cord type and rating.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):