This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to assemble, set up and test computing devices.It includes applying safe working practices; checking computer components; assembling components; installing and testing operating system, drivers and application software; following instructions and completing work.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* applying relevant work health and safety (WHS)/occupational health and safety (OHS) requirements, including:
* using risk control measures
* assembling and connecting computing devices components
* carrying out quality checks
* completing and reporting work
* determining hardware requirements for operating system to be installed
* determining to test and measure live work
* following computer shutdown workplace procedures
* following computer start-up instructions
* identifying and rectifying hardware and/or software faults
* installing application software to default configuration.
* obtaining computer components, operating system and application software
* referring unplanned events to supervisor for directions
* seeking advice from work supervisor to ensure work is coordinated
* testing computer network operation
* using sustainable energy practices.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):