Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- consult with at least six (6) clients and complete a pre-service analysis covering the following characteristics to design and recommend appropriate finished hair designs: facial features and bone structure; natural hair type; hair texture; growth patterns; movement; length and structure of haircut;
- style and finish hair for the above six clients to their satisfaction, and cumulatively style and finish hair of these lengths and haircut structures: short; shoulder length; below shoulder length; solid form; layered; graduated; combination of structures;
- use these tools and techniques, cumulatively across the suite of clients: blow drying using brushes to create curl, wave or volume; blow drying using brushes to straighten or smooth hair; using thermal tools to straighten hair; using thermal tools for curl or texture; applying rollers to set hair, and;
- use these finishing techniques, cumulatively across the suite of clients: brushing; dry moulding; placing; backcombing; smoothing over backcombing; applying fixing products.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- key characteristics and interrelationships of the elements and principles of hair design and use in creating finished hairstyle effects;
- different facial shapes and hair designs which best complement particular shapes;
- characteristics of the following hair features, how these will impact on finished hairstyles and appropriate designs for best outcomes: natural hair types; hair texture; hair movement; hair length and haircut structure; natural distribution and growth patterns of hair;
- effects of thermal tools on hair condition and structure and ways to maintain the integrity of hair during styling;
- effects of humidity on finished hairstyles;
- key features of the organisation's styling and finishing products range, and;
- industry practices and organisational procedures.