Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- consult with at least six clients and complete a pre-service analysis covering the following characteristics to design and recommend appropriate clipper haircuts: facial features and bone structure; natural hair type; hair texture; hair density; growth patterns; fall and movement;
- complete haircuts for the above six clients to their satisfaction and cumulatively complete these types of haircuts: flat tops; clipper cuts; style cuts;
- create cuts of at least four different lengths using different sized clipper attachments across the haircuts completed, and;
- create these neckline shapes cumulatively across the haircuts completed: square; curved; faded and blended.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- different facial shapes and freehand clipper haircuts which best complement particular shapes;
- characteristics of the following hair features, how these will impact on finished tapered haircuts and appropriate designs for best outcomes: natural hair types; hair texture; hair movement; natural distribution and growth patterns of hair;
- shapes, structure and texture for haircuts created using freehand clipper techniques;
- starting point and sequencing of cutting patterns and the impact on the finished result for clipper haircuts;
- relationship between size of the clipper attachment and clipper effects on hair length;
- maintenance requirements for clippers; when and how to clean, oil and adjust blades;
- cleaning techniques and uses of cleaning and disinfection products for haircutting equipment;
- basic aspects of local government, state or territory health regulations for hygiene and infection control for haircutting services, and;
- industry practices and organisational procedures.