Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- consult with at least six clients and complete a pre-service analysis covering the following characteristics to design and recommend appropriate haircuts involving structural combinations: facial features and bone structure; natural hair type; hair texture; hair density; growth patterns; fall and movement;
- complete haircuts for those six clients to their satisfaction and combine at least two of the following for each haircut completed: solid structures; graduated structures; layered structures; tapered structures; textured areas; straight lines; curved lines; soft lines; hard lines, and;
- use at least six of these cutting techniques cumulatively across the haircuts completed: blunt cutting; pointing; notching; slicing; end tapering; strand tapering; scissor-over-comb; clipper-over-comb; razor bevelling, arching and rotation.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- different facial shapes and combined structured haircut designs which best complement particular shapes;
- characteristics of the following hair features, how these will impact on finished haircuts involving structural combinations and appropriate combined structure designs for best outcomes: natural hair types; hair texture; hair movement; natural distribution and growth patterns of hair;
- shapes, structure and texture for haircuts that combine two or more haircut structures;
- proportional relationships between structures;
- starting point, sectioning and parting patterns and the impact on the finished result for haircuts involving structural combinations;
- techniques used to create texture and blend haircut structures, and;
- industry practices and organisational procedures.