Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
A person demonstrating competency in this unit must satisfy all of the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, and must fabricate three different signs as follows:
- a lower case letter 'b' in Clarendon font, using acrylic sheeting, with a minimum 50 mm return and 300 mm height;
- a letter 'D' in Helvetica font, using stainless steel or aluminium, with a minimum 50 mm return and 300 mm height, and;
- an aluminium light box with a minimum 300 mm acrylic front and back panel with a 100 mm edge; with the front and back of the light box being acrylic with a minimum of 4.5 mm thickness.
In doing the above work, the person must use at least three of the following tools and equipment:
- acrylic glues and heating equipment;
- battery drill;
- CAD/CAM routing equipment;
- glass marking pencil;
- metal ruler or tape measure;
- welding tools and equipment;
- square, and;
- surface cutting equipment.
For each sign to be fabricated, the person must:
- identify the job requirements for the sign;
- select and prepare tools, equipment and materials to fabricate the sign;
- select, correctly fit, and use personal protective equipment (PPE) relevant to the task;
- accurately calculate required material quantities;
- safely and accurately measure and cut materials to size;
- fabricate and assemble the sign;
- trim and clean the sign, rectify any faults;
- store sign safely, and;
- clean the work area and dispose of any waste materials.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- fabrication techniques used when working with acrylic;
- folds and tolerances of light weight metals used in fabricating signs;
- techniques for using rotary routers and other tools when cutting materials used in fabricating signs;
- types, characteristics and applications of high and medium impact acrylic;
- statutory and regulatory authority requirements, particularly those relating to: removal of waste products; storage of chemicals and materials; work health and safety relevant to fabricating signs;
- techniques used to weld aluminium and galvanised steel up to 3 mm in thickness;
- types, uses and limitations of: different extrusion systems used in sign manufacture; modular directory systems used in sign manufacture;
- purpose and application of the following when using tools, equipment and materials to fabricate signs: safety data sheets (SDS); safe work method statements (SWMS), and;
- use of manufacturer specifications when using tools, equipment and materials to fabricate signs.