This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to develop guidelines that foster positive and respectful interactions and behaviour, and to monitor and support children’s learning, development and wellbeing in this area.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• observe the social interactions of children on at least three occasions and identify:
• emerging pro-social skills
• strategies used by the educator to support the development of pro-social skills
• complete the following for two different children who require assistance with self-regulation and pro-social skills:
• review any pre-existing information regarding the child’s interactions and behaviour
• review physical and social environment within and outside the service and identify impacts on child’s behaviour
• observe and monitor the interactions and responses of the child to identify challenging behaviour
• participate in two collaborative discussions about the child’s interactions and behaviour with colleagues
• document own reflections on the gathered information
• develop, implement and evaluate a support plan for the child in collaboration with colleagues.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the Polytechnic and/or via the Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):