The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) is a one-off, non-indexed, means-tested payment of up to $5000. It encourages and assists outer regional and remote students who need to relocate to access tertiary study immediately following school (Year 12 or equivalent).
To be eligible, your family home must be 90 minutes or more by public transport from your education provider. You must also be enrolled full-time in further study at Certificate IV or above.
The program is designed to help you with:
- start-up expenses for relocation (such as travel, transport and bond for accommodation)
- costs of living (rent and food)
- direct costs of education or training (tuition fees, textbooks and computers)
- the cost of travelling home in semester breaks
- the opportunity cost of forgone income while studying.