If you are interested in studying but aren’t ready to start a full course, you should consider enrolling in one or more single units of study.

If you decide to apply for a course after you’ve completed a single unit, you can seek credit for that study when you apply for your new course.

Register your interest in single units of study

If you would like to study single units, please register your interest before the end of the second week of semester.

  • Semester 1, the last day to register your interest is 9 March 2018 (Semester 1 starts Monday 26 February).
  • Semester 2, the last day to register your interest is 3 August 2018 (Semester 2 starts Monday 23 July).

Once you’ve registered your interest we'll get back to you (within a week) with all the details on how to apply & enrol.

Register your interest in studying single units

Reasons for taking single units of study

There are a number of reasons to study single units. You can try out university life or units that are part of the course you may be considering.

Single units of study are an ideal opportunity to:

  • quickly update your skills and knowledge in a specific area, or explore a new area (if you are considering a career change or seeking a promotion at work)
  • learn more about something that's always fascinated you (such as learning a new language)
  • save money, compared with studying a whole course.

Individual units may also be a stepping stone or pathway into further study. 

Services available after you enrol

When you enrol into single units of study, you'll become a VU student in every sense. You'll have access to:

Units available

We have a broad range of units that you can choose from covering areas of arts, business, engineering and IT, health, sport and recreation.

Units may be delivered across several campuses, so you have flexibility to attend classes at a location, day and time that best suits you.

Check our 2019 timetable planner to get an idea of when classes may run for your chosen unit.


Depending on the unit you choose, typical assessments may include exams, essays, portfolios and presentations.

Check the relevant unit page for more information about the assessments you'll need to submit in order to pass the unit.


All Australian residents can register interest to study single units. You should check the unit details to see if there are any prerequisite studies or pre-reading needed.

International students

International students on a student visa are not eligible to enrol in single units of study. However, international students on a tourist visa are eligible to enrol in a short course or single unit of study for a duration of up to three months. 
If you are interested in studying at VU as part of another course we encourage you to apply through our study abroad or exchange program.

Cross institutional study

If you are not a current VU student and are enrolled in a course at another institution in Australia, you can apply to study a unit at VU that will be counted towards completion of your course at your home institution.

You are considered an ‘inbound’ student, and should apply using the  cross-institutional inbound application form.


All single unit studies are charged at full-fee rates. Government funding (e.g. HECS-HELP) is not available for these units.

Use the fee calculator to calculate fees for single units. Choose 'Full fee' from the 'My fee type is' drop down.

Calculate single unit fees

An invoice will be created at the time of enrolment and then made available via MyVU, which is the gateway to student systems. You will need to pay your fees by the date indicated on your invoice.

Sponsorship for single units

Your employer or other sponsor (such as a job agency) may agree to cover the cost of your study. If so, complete the  External Sponsor Agreement Form and have it is signed by your employer/sponsor. Once signed email it to the Sponsorship team via [email protected] or hand it in at a Student Service Centre.