Working with a supervisor is a central part of completing a Higher Degree by Research (HDR).
Your supervisor will help you develop practical research skills and research networks to support your progress. They will guide and mentor you from commencement through to final submission of your thesis.
Finding a supervisor
Supervisors are academics with research strengths and interests similar to yours. They have extensive knowledge and experience in their field and a qualification at least equal to the degree you are undertaking.
Make sure you contact your potential supervisor and discuss your research proposal before submitting your application. A potential supervisor may also be able to assist you by suggesting a project for your research.
Whilst approaches to supervision, work styles and interactions with students may vary, our supervisors will provide:
- academic support to help develop the knowledge and skills to achieve the highest standard of research
- regular feedback on the design, management and analysis of data and information, presentation of results, thesis content and drafts
- advice on the standard of performance and progress to ensure timely completion
- the names and credentials of suitable thesis examiners
- close and regular contact to support you from commencement to the award of your degree
- career advice and assistance.
The supervision registration and development procedure sets out the steps and guidelines for:
- appointing internal HDR supervisors
- achieving, maintaining and reviewing HDR supervisor registration
- registration levels
- supervision development
- the de-registration process
- changes in supervision
- managing conflict.
If you wish to apply to register as a Higher Degree by Research supervisor, please complete the application for registration or upgrade as a graduate research supervisor form and attach all relevant information.
The completed application should be submitted to the Graduate Research Centre (via firstname.lastname@example.org) or the College Support Officer, Graduate Research Centre.
Change of supervisor
If you wish to change your supervisor, you must obtain approval and complete an application for change in supervision.
Phone: +61 3 9919 4522.