If an item becomes overdue your borrowing privileges will be suspended until the item is returned. If an infringement has been applied borrowing privileges will be suspended until all outstanding charges are paid.
Any unpaid fines and bills attached to your library record can be seen in MyLibrary.
- Items more than 28 days overdue (or less than 28 days for short-term loan items) will attract an infringement penalty of $20.
- Overdue items with a hold placed on them are issued a Recall Notice; if the item is not returned within seven days from the date of notice, there is an infringement penalty of $20 per recalled item.
- Items overdue from participating CAVAL libraries will also attract an additional Victoria University infringement penalty of $20.
- Items that are not returned, lost or damaged normally attract a penalty of $125 per item.
- Library fines can also prevent you from re-enrolling, graduating or accessing your results so it is important to clear the debt immediately.
Notices from the Library are sent to the email address on your Library record. For VU students and staff, this is your VU email address. For reciprocal and external borrowers, this is the email address you provided when you registered. It is your responsibility to ensure your email address is kept up-to-date.
Paying your fine
Library fines can be paid with a credit card using our Online Secure Payment System (your record will be cleared within one business day).
Please ensure that all overdue items have been returned before making a payment (online payments cannot be accepted unless items are returned). Use the non-returned item amount to pay for items that are not returned due to loss or damage.
Payments can also be made at your Campus Library Service Desk with your Papercut printing account.
Contact us if you are unsure of the amount owing. Payments are processed during business hours only – if payments are made outside of business hours, they will be processed the next business day.