Freedom of Information (FOI)

Under the Victorian Freedom of Information Act (1982), you have a general right to request information held by VU. Information will be released in accordance with the legislation.

More information about Freedom of Information (FOI) can be obtained from the Victorian Government's Freedom of Information website.

Making a request

Please feel free to contact the FOI Coordinator for advice or assistance before submitting a formal request to

Requests must clearly identify that they are made under the FOI Act and be accompanied by the requisite application fee of $27.90. Fees may be waived or reduced in circumstances of financial hardship. Applications for waiver should be directed, in the first instance, to the FOI Coordinator.

Complete a Freedom of Information (FOI) application request to ensure that we have the necessary information to process your request.

Formal requests for access to documents in the University's possession should be made in writing to:

FOI Coordinator
Records & Archives Services
Victoria University
PO Box 14428
Melbourne, Victoria 8001

Completed request forms may also be emailed to

FOI fees and charges

Please note that the application fee ($27.90) applies whether or not documents exist or can be released.

If documents can be released under FOI, then the following charges may also apply:

  • search charges – $20.90 per hour or part of an hour, rounded to the nearest 10 cents
  • photocopying charges – 20c per black and white A4 page
  • supervision charges – $20.90 per hour, calculated per quarter hour or part of a quarter hour, rounded to the nearest 10 cents
  • providing access in a form other than photocopying – the reasonable costs incurred by the University in providing access.

These charges may be waived or reduced due to financial hardship. Search charges are also waived if you are requesting your own personal information.

Your personal information

Students and staff are generally able to access personal information about themselves that is held by the University without having to make an FOI application.

Students – accessing your personal information

Students wishing to access their personal information should contact the Student Contact Centre in the first instance without submitting an FOI request.

First options to get your personal information:

Phone: +61 3 9919 4000
Online: ask a question or search for answers on ASKVU.

Make sure you provide specific details of the information or document you are requesting.

Sensitive information such as complaints or allegations of misconduct will not be released by phone or through ASKVU but rather should be requested under FOI. Requests to access your full student file will be assessed on a case by case basis.

Students who wish to have access to any personal documents not on their files must lodge an FOI request.

Staff – accessing your personal information

Staff wishing to access their personnel files should apply in writing to the Director, People & Culture Business Services. They can arrange an inspection of personal information, under the supervision of a staff member from People and Culture.

Access to these files through People and Culture will not include any documents regarded as sensitive, such as referees' reports or complaints against staff.

Staff who wish to have access to any personal documents not on their files must lodge an FOI request.

Information about the University

There is a wide range of University information and documents available to the public on this website, including University policies.

We encourage you to undertake a search of the information on this website before lodging a Freedom of Information request. If the information you are seeking is not sensitive, it can also be requested directly from the relevant area of the University without the need for an FOI request.

The University Archives holds a collection of records that are not required for the day-to-day business of the University, but are still worthy of preservation. Please consult the online guide to the Archives, and contact the University Archivist if you would like to access any of the records in the collection.