Current students

Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

The Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) is provided to all students who are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place and/or who are accessing a Government Loan Scheme (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, VET FEE-HELP, Vet Student Loan or SA-HELP).

The Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) provides important information about your enrolment, fee information and payments, as well as how much will be reported to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) including ny HELP debt you may have incurred.

Victoria University is required by legislation to provide you with a CAN within 28 days of the census date for the current semester.

Viewing your CAN

You can view and print your CAN online via MyVU (Log in > Click the eCAN tile) 28 days after the census date of each semester. You'll receive an email notification inviting you to review your CAN.

You need to check your CAN each semester and make sure that your enrolment details are correct so that we can report your details correctly to the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

What is included in the CAN?

The CAN is not an invoice and you don't need to contact the ATO.

The CAN includes information on:

  • the units of study for which you've received Commonwealth assistance
  • student contributions charged for the units you're enrolled in
  • any up-front payments you've made toward your fees
  • HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, VET Student Loan or VET FEE-HELP assistance for each enrolled unit(s) of study
  • SA-HELP assistance you received for your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) (if applicable)
  • total HELP debt incurred for the study period
  • any loan fees you may have incurred (loan fee of 25% for full fee VET Student Loan or VET FEE-HELP)
  • Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) consumption
  • Commonwealth Higher Education Support Number (CHESSN) if applicable.

Incorrect CAN (making changes)

If you believe your CAN is incorrect, contact must be made in writing within 14 calendar days from the date the CAN is issued. If you submit your query after this 14-day period, you will incur a late CAN dispute charge of $155.

Queries about your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) can be sent:

In your query, remember you must include:

  • your name
  • your student ID number
  • your course code
  • the semester and year
  • which details you believe are incorrect
  • why you believe they are incorrect and
  • supporting documentation.

You can find more information about the Commonwealth Assistance Notice from Study Assist.

Contact us

Ask questions & find answers through Ask VU.

Phone: +61 3 9919 6100

Visit: VUHQ (Student Service Centre).