The Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) confirms enrolment and fee information for each semester of study undertaken by:
- Commonwealth assisted Higher Education students
- Full fee paying Higher Education students
- VE/TAFE Diploma level and above students.
Victoria University is required by law to advise you of the enrolment details that will be reported to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for the current semester.
The CAN shows how much you have paid towards your fees and how much will be reported to the ATO. If you have paid all your fees up-front then nothing will be reported to the ATO.
Viewing your CAN
You need to check your CAN each semester and make sure that your enrolment details are correct so that we can report your details correctly to the Australian Tax Office (ATO).
What is included in the CAN?
The CAN is not an invoice and you don't need to contact the ATO.
The CAN details your:
- Student contribution/tuition fee amounts
- HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or VET FEE-HELP assistance for each enrolled unit(s) of study
- total debt incurred for the semester
- Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) consumption
- Commonwealth Higher Education Support Number (CHESSN) if applicable.
Incorrect CAN (making changes)
If you believe your CAN is incorrect, contact must be made in writing within 14 calendar days from the date the CAN is issued. If you submit your query after this 14-day period, you will incur a late CAN dispute charge.
Queries about your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) can be sent:
- as a question through Ask VU
- in writing to Fees Coordinator via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your query, remember you must include:
- your name
- your student ID number
- your course code
- the semester and year
- which details you believe are incorrect, and
- why you believe they are incorrect.
You can find more information about the Commonwealth Assistance Notice from Study Assist.
Ask questions & find answers through Ask VU.
Phone: +61 3 9919 6100
Visit: Student Service Centre