Current students

Terms & conditions for enrolling

There are certain conditions that all students are expected to meet in order to study at Victoria University (VU). Other conditions are more specific, and may be based on your particular course of study, or external factors such as whether you're an Australian citizen. All current or prospective VU students should be aware of the conditions that affect them.

Application terms and conditions

If you apply to study at VU please be aware of the following conditions:

VU may need to obtain official records about you from relevant educational authorities, and VU may also engage Qualsearch to access your academic information. VU is not responsible if any educational body does not supply your records. The results of the search will be made available to you on request, and an audit of this authority may also be undertaken.

VU may disclose the personal information provided in your application to the Department of Education and/or the Higher Education and Skills Group (HESG). The Department of Education will collect and store your personal information for use with the Higher Education Information Management System (HEIMS).

Requirements for clinical or workplace placement

Courses involving clinical or work placement may require you to undertake one or more of the following:

  • physical fitness assessment
  • medical examination
  • psychological assessment
  • interview
  • National Police Records check
  • Working with Children check

These are legal pre-employment requirements and failure in any of these examinations or checks may exclude you from undertaking the clinical placement component of the course.

Enrolment terms and conditions

Various terms and conditions are applicable when enrolling into a course or unit at VU. At the time of your enrolment:

  • You are required to provide correct proof of citizenship otherwise your enrolment will be invalid.
  • Your enrolment details are available by accessing your MYVU Portal account. It is your responsibility to check that the course and unit of study details are correct.
  • VU may cancel your enrolment if you provide us with false information.
  • Your latest and historical Statements of Account (invoices) are available by accessing your MYVU Portal account.
  • It is also your responsibility to access your Statements after enrolling or amending your enrolment to check that the financial details on your statements are correct and to pay your fees when due.
  • VU does not email or post out Statement of Account (invoice) documents as a matter of course. Notifications are issued instead that provide a link to access your statements online.  It is a condition of enrolment at VU that you consent to this arrangement.

How to read your Victoria University Statement of Account / Tax Invoice.

TAFE Government-funded students

If you are studying a vocational course and eligible for a fee concession, you must present your valid concession card at the time of enrolment. Further Education students can present their valid concession card by the payment due date on their Statement of Account. For further details and to determine if you are the holder of a valid concession card refer to ASKVU. Concessions do not apply to Higher Education students.

You may also be eligible for a government-subsidised place under the Skills First Program. Check the Victorian Skills Gateway website to see if you're eligible.

Privacy information

All information VU collects in connection with your application or enrolment will be treated in accordance with the University's Privacy Policy (available through ASKVU). VU will collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purpose of enabling you to enrol in a course of study, and to enable VU to deliver the course and related services to you, and to comply with the Commonwealth and State Government reporting and statistical requirements.

VU uses your information to:

  • communicate with you about your course, events, activities, products, services and opportunities available to you;
  • carry out administrative matters;
  • place your name on the student electoral roll;
  • maintain your academic record;
  • facilitate the University's internal planning and to provide programs for the health and welfare of students;
  • foster alumni relations;
  • confirm with Centrelink the details that you have provided and to determine whether you are receiving Centrelink benefit; and
  • fulfil any requirements regarding State and Commonwealth government reporting and statistical obligations, including any required disclosure of your personal information to the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations and the Higher Education and Skills Group. The Higher Education and Skills Group may also disclose information to its consultants, adviser, other government agencies, professional bodies and/or other organisations for planning, administration, policy development, program evaluation and other related or lawful purposes.

VU will publish your results by reference to your Student Identification Number in any format or medium.

It is your responsibility to keep your student identification number private and not disclose it to any other person except for authorised VU staff.

VU may be required to confirm with Centrelink the details that you have provided and to determine whether you are receiving a Centrelink benefit. This can be revoked in writing at any time.

Onshore students can change their address or contact details through MYVU Portal, by telephoning the Student Contact Centre on 9919 6100, online through ASKVU or in person at a Student Service Centre. Further information about changing personal details is available through ASKVU.

Enrolment Variation or Withdrawal Deadlines

TAFE (Certificate level and foundation studies) – students enrolled in government-funded courses must finalise their enrolment details within the first four weeks of their course starting. TAFE government-funded students who withdraw from a Unit of Study four weeks after has started are not eligible for a refund of tuition fees. Full Fee students have to withdraw before the start date of their course to be eligible for a full refund.

Higher Education and TAFE (Diploma and above) students varying their enrolment beyond the third week of semester 1 or 2, or week 1 for winter and summer option will attract a late amendment fee. Further details are available at ASKVU or from your College and Student Service centres.

Unless exceptional, documented circumstances exist, changes after census date will not be allowed and are not eligible for a refund of fees. Students will incur a HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans debt and their Student Learning Entitlement will be reduced.

Refer to ASKVU for information on special circumstances and remission.

Paying your fees

Please pay all fees by the due date(s) shown on your Statement of Account to confirm your enrolment in your course. If fees are not paid on time your course enrolment may be cancelled. Additional charges may apply if you do not pay your fees by the due date and/or when a cancelled enrolment is reinstated.

If you are having difficulty paying your fees on time, you may be eligible for a fee extension. Please check the fee extension information to determine if you are eligible for a fee extension before the applicable due date shown on your Statement of Account. Fee extension requests after the due date will not be accepted.

Commonwealth Assisted Students (e.g. holder of a Commonwealth Supported place or eligible for HELP or VET Student Loans) have until census date to make any voluntary payments towards your higher education Loan Program (HELP). HECS-HELP students receive a bonus discount for full upfront payments or partial up-front payments of $500 or more. After Census Date, HELP or VET Student Loans amounts outstanding will be reported to the Australian Taxation Office, and they will manage your liability from that time.

Please refer to your 'Commonwealth Supported Students (HECS HELP or VET Student Loans)' information booklet or refer to the Study Assist website for more information.

How to read your Victoria University Statement of Account / Tax Invoice.

Information about sponsorship

VU must be informed if a student is sponsored by an employer or a college/department within the University. A Sponsor Agreement A89 or A91 form must be completed by the student and sponsor and submitted at the time of enrolment. The forms are available under Student forms.