Accessibility services we provide
We can recommend adjustments to the way your course is taught and assessed.
Adjustments are made on a case-by-case basis, and may include:
- alternative exam arrangements
- academic support worker assistance
- equipment loans
- assistive technology
- accessible formatting
- extensions to assignments
- flexibility in attendance requirements
- accessible teaching spaces and ergonomic furniture.
Accessibility Liaison Officer support
Our Accessibility Liaison Officers can help to minimise impacts of a disability or a health condition on your study and enable you to participate in all aspects of university life.
We will meet with you to:
- identify options to reduce the impact of your illness or disability on your current study program
- provide information on a range of supports and access to relevant VU services and study adjustments
- create an Access Plan to summarise recommended teaching adjustments, assessment and examination adjustments and other factors needed to support independent learning
- communicate and assist relevant VU staff and external agencies to arrange specific services outlined in your (learning) Access Plan.
Teaching adjustment recommendations
We can recommend a range of inclusive teaching practices, including:
- flexible assessment options, eg. an essay or an oral presentation on a particular topic
- providing copies of notes and presentations early in the semester and well before class
- audio recording classes (where appropriate)
- alternative assessment arrangements (more time) for in-class tests
- recommendations to help you meet placement requirements.
Course materials – alternative formats
Accessible course materials can be provided. We have alternative formats available such as:
- enlarged print
- electronic files.
Academic support workers
We can arrange for academic support workers to assist you in class, such as:
- Auslan interpreters
- participation assistants
- lab assistants.
You must register for accessibility support to receive assistance from an academic support worker.
Exam & assessment adjustments
We can arrange exam assistance such as:
- special seating arrangements
- extra writing time
- adjusted or alternative assessments tasks
- Auslan interpreters or scribes in exams
- rest breaks
- specialised equipment.
Technology & equipment
- screen reading and magnifying software
- Dragon speech recognition and word prediction
- closed circuit TV to magnify reading material
- PCs with large screen monitors
- accessible work stations.
If you are using a screen reader, screen magnifier or prefer an alternative version of a map, text alternative maps for all our campuses are available.
Access and mobility maps are also available, showing accessible exits, entrances and lifts for the buildings on each of our campuses.