Dr Shah J Miah is an Associate Professor of Information Systems (IS) at the Victoria University Business School, Victoria University. He has also held academic positions at the University of the Sunshine Coast, Griffith University and James Cook University, Australia.
Since receiving his PhD from Griffith University in the area of Business Decision Support Systems, his research interests have expanded to include Business Intelligence and Big-Data Analytics. He now serves on the editorial boards of the International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, the Journal of Education and Information Technologies, and Australasian Journal of Information Systems and has led and edited special issues for each.
Dr Miah has produced over 110 publications including research books, journal articles, book chapters and refereed conference articles. His outstanding work has appeared in top-tier outlets of the field, such as:
- Journal of the Association for Information Systems
- Information and Management
- Knowledge-Based Systems
- Telematics and Informatics
- Information Technology & People
- Information Systems.
Shah has received awards including Best Paper Award, Best Reviewer Award, Best Participant Award, and Outstanding Leadership Award. He was keynote speaker at the IEEE Asia Pacific World Congress on Computer Science in 2017 and has given numerous presentations at international and local conferences, as well as at universities in Australia and overseas. In coordinating or authorship roles he has contributed to many conferences, including:
- Americas Conference on Information Systems
- Australasian Conference on Information Systems
- Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems
- International Conference on Information Systems
- International Conference on Semantic, Knowledge and Grid.
Dr Miah is a member of the Victoria University Academic Board, and is actively involved in quality assurance of the core academic activities at the University. He is also an Adjunct Professor of Information Technology at the University of Fiji, Fiji and at Verandra University, Bangladesh, and continues robust grant activity with other university and industry partners for addressing complex socio-technical issues. His teaching also focuses on socio-technical areas such as business IS design and analysis, business intelligence, big-data and predictive analytics, and Information Technology project management.
His research interests include:
- decision support applications design for businesses
- socio-technical design theory
- big-data, locational analytics/intelligence and decision support
- e-services and applications for consumers, healthcare, public health and well-being management.
View Shah's publications in Victoria University's Institutional Repository.
Journal articles (recent selected)
Miah, S.J., Gammack, J.G., and McKay, J. (2018) A Meta-Design Theory for Tailorable Decision Support, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, (Accepted) - SCImago Rank Q1
Miah, S.J., Vu, HQ, Gammack, J.G., and McGrath, G.M. (2017) A Big-Data Analytics Method for Tourist Behaviour Analysis, Information and Management, 54(6), 771-785 - SCImago Rank Q1
Miah, S.J. and Gammack, J.G., and Hasan, N. (2017) Extending the Framework for Mobile Health Information Systems Research: A Content Analysis, Information Systems, 69, 1-24 - SCImago Rank Q1
Miah, S.J., Hasan, N., Hasan, R., and Gammack, J.G. (2017) Healthcare support for underserved communities using a mobile social media platform, Information Systems, 66, 1-12 -Scimago Journal Rank Q1
Miah, S.J., Hasan, J. and Gammack, J. G. (2016) On-Cloud Healthcare Clinic: An e-health Consultancy Approach for Remote Communities in a Developing Country, Telematics and Informatics, 34 (1), 311–322 - Scimago Journal Rank Q1
Conference papers (recent selected)
Miah, S.J., Hasan, N., Kerr, D., and Gammack, J.G. (2017) Developing a Framework towards Design Understanding for Crowdsourcing Research: A Content Analysis, In Proceedings of the 28th Australasian Conference on information Systems- ACIS 2017, Dec 04-06, Hobart, Australia
Miah, S.J., Hasan, R., Hasan, N., and Gammack, J.G (2017) A Decision Support Framework for Public Healthcare: An approach to Follow-up Support Service, In Proceedings of the 28th Australasian Conference on information Systems- ACIS 2017, Dec 04-06, Hobart, Australia
Khatun, M. and Miah, S.J. (2017) The Design Functions of a Knowledge-Based Decision Support System in B2C E-commerce Problem Domain, In proceedings of the 4th IEEE Asia-Pacific World Congress on Computer Science and Engineering 2017 (APWC on CSE 2017), Mana Islands, Fiji, 11-13 Dec 2017
Aljarboa, S. and Miah, S.J. (2017) Acceptance of a Clinical Decision Support System for improving Healthcare Services in Saudi Arabia, In proceedings of the 4th IEEE Asia-Pacific World Congress on Computer Science and Engineering 2017 (APWC on CSE 2017), Mana Islands, Fiji, 11-13 Dec 2017
Dr Miah is the Course Chair of the Master of Business Analytics and Master of Business Analytics (Professional), and specialisation advisor for the Bachelor of Business Information Systems Management at the VU Business School.
- BGBI Graduate Diploma of Business Analytics
- BMAD Master of Business Analytics
- BMBI Master of Business Analytics (Professional)
- BBNS Bachelor of Business – (Information Systems Management)
- Postgraduate unit: BMO5565 Human Resource Information Systems
- Undergraduate unit: BMO3420 Human Resource Information Systems
- Undergraduate unit: BCO3448 Business Intelligence
- Undergraduate unit: BCO3446 Project Management
- Undergraduate unit: BCO6008 Predictive Analytics
Dr Miah has examined over 25 PhD dissertations, to date has supervised five PhD degree completions and is currently supervising 10 PhD projects in the Business IS research field.
- Member of the Association of Information Systems (AIS)
- Member of the Australian Computer Society (MACS)
- Member, IEEE
Areas of expertise
- decision support systems for industries
- design science research methodologies
- E-Service design for businesses
- healthcare information systems development