The 2018 UniSport Nationals Snow is being held at Mt Buller 28 August -1 September. Men's and women's competitions will be contested in alpine skiing, freestyle skiing, snowboard and cross country skiing.
VU has a reputation for entering specialist elite teams at the Nationals Snow recording some impressive results and 2018 is lining up to be one of our strongest yet.
The team of 5 students are set to compete at 8 events across all 4 sport divisions with some strong medal chances.
Two current members of the National Alpine Ski Team Harry Laidlaw and Douglas Crawford will represent VU for the first time.
Harry a paramedic student who competed for Australia at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang is set to compete in the Giant Slalom, Super G and Ski Cross.
Doug, studying Bachelor of Exercise Science, will compete in the Giant Slalom and the Ski Cross. Doug is a 2017 Australian Ski Cross Champion has competed at 2 World Junior Championships, the 2016 Winter Youth Olympic Games and after 4 years of European Cup racing recently earned his first World Cup start this December.
Former national Snowboarder and Bachelor of Psychological studies (Honours) student Lauren Staveley returns again to compete in her Slopestyle event, having won Silver in 2017 to add to her gold medals from 2016 and 2014. Lauren was VU’s 2016 Female Athlete of the Year announced at VU’s annual Sport Awards.
Bachelor of Sport Coaching student Tom McMahon also returns for the Cross Country individual race, last year Tom recorded an admirable 4th place in a class field where the podium was owned by Australian international representatives while Bachelor of Business student, Tessa-Maree Wilkinson also returns to represent VU in four events including Boardercross, Giant Slalom, Slopestyle and the Super G.
Event competition schedule
28 August (Tuesday)
- 1.00pm Moguls - Freestyle
- 5.00pm Official Welcome and Team Manager's Meeting
29 August (Wednesday)
- 8.00am Giant Slalom - Snowboard
- 8.00am Slalom - Alpine
- 1.00pm Rail Jam - Freestyle and Snowboard
- 5.00pm 'Bulk Games' presented by Bulk Nutrients at Mt Buller Air Zone
30 August (Thursday)
- 7.30am Giant Slalom - Alpine
- 12.00pm Slopestyle - Alpine and Snowboard
- 5.30pm Medal presentations
- 7.30am Skier Cross - Freestyle
- 12.00pm Boarder Cross - Snowboard
- 7.30am Super G - Alpine and Snowboard
- 1.00pm Cross Country - Individual
- 1.00pm Cross Country - Team
- 5.00pm Closing presentation.
Check-in with UniSport Nationals Snow Official for updates and changes.