Apply now for Study Melbourne Language & Internship Program in China over the summer break. In the 2019 round, the program will run from 24 November 2019 to 18 January 2020. 25 Victorian-based tertiary students will be selected.
The program offers Victorian-based tertiary students an exceptional opportunity to develop cross-cultural communication skills and substantive work experience in the capital of China to jump-start your career in today’s competitive job market!
The internal Victoria University (VU) application process is now open for the Study Melbourne Language & Internship Program in China – a partnership between the Victorian Government and the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE).
The Victorian Government is funding the language and internship components of the program, including student support and accommodation for the program period.
The program includes:
- three weeks of language study at a Chinese university
- a five-week internship placement at a globally reputable company in either Beijing or Chengdu, China.
Invaluable experience benefits
- Learn Chinese language and gain valuable work experience at a reputable institution in China
- Develop professional skills and ability to communicate across cultures
- Gain relevant work experience to prepare well for your future career
Possible academic benefits
Please check with the Course and Unit Administrator ([email protected]) to confirm credit arrangements, and consult the Centre for Work Integrated Learning, College of Business to confirm your WIL unit enrolment eligibility ([email protected]).
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) students may be able to count this internship towards the compulsory 12 weeks of work experience required for their degrees, subject to the approval from their College.
- College of Business students may be able to gain credit from this internship if they are:
- Bachelor of Business: eligible and successfully enrol in the Work Integrated Learning unit “BBB3100: Business Integrated Learning” in Semester 1, 2020.
- Postgraduate: eligible and successfully enrol in the “BBB7000: Internship” unit in the subsequent Trimester.
- College of Law and Justice students can gain credit by enrolling in “LLW2002 International Law Practicum” after completing all assessment tasks; please check with the Course and Unit Administrator ([email protected]) for your eligibility to enrol in this unit.
- Students of other disciplines may be able to gain credit or placement hours from this internship; please check with the Course and Unit Administrator of your College.
Expressions of interest by video
Full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students at Victoria University aged 18 or above who have achieved a minimum credit average of 60% and are able to travel to China for the program are encouraged to apply.
The first step in applying for the program is to be nominated by VU.
Express your interest in applying by Wednesday, 14 August 2019 by following these steps:
- Make a short video (up to 4 minutes) to describe:
- how the program would significantly benefit your future career path
- your understanding of the challenges of navigating an inter-cultural professional experience/environment
- your community engagement experience
- your commitment in experience sharing and promotion after the program
- your sense of confidence, resilience and independence
- Upload your video to your favourite video sharing site
- Email your CV, including the video link, to [email protected].
To find out about this and other overseas study opportunities, contact the Victoria Abroad Team.
Phone: +61 3 9919 1445
Email: [email protected]
In 2018, VU student Kaustubh Vilas Mundada an international student who completed his Master of Business Analytics program in 2019, was one of the VU students who were selected to participate in this eight-week program during the summer break in 2018-19. Kaustubh gained invaluable internship experience in GCiS China Strategic Research in Beijing and studied Mandarin and Chinese culture in Beijing Normal University through this program.