Very Useful Information sessions for international students
This event has already taken place.
International students who are new to VU - join one or more of these free interactive sessions.
Meet other students and staff and make the most of the information available. Places are limited so you must register online for the sessions that interest you. These sessions are for international students only.
These free sessions are designed to help you:
- meet other students
- look for a job
- learn about Australian life and culture
- learn about seeing a doctor in Australia, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and staying healthy
- learn how VU online systems and services work
- have a great experience at VU and in Melbourne.
These sessions take place on 13 July at City Flinders Campus and 19 July at Footscray Park Campus.
The 13 July sessions are for VU Polytechnic, VU College Diploma and Postgraduate Business students, or students who start classes in the week beginning 16 July or who attend international orientation on 11 July.
The 19 July sessions are for bachelor students and semester 2 postgraduate students, or students who start classes in the week beginning 23 July or who attend international orientation on 17 July.
Register online for the sessions that interest you.
10am: Adjusting to a new culture
This workshop explores challenges that international students face and provides information about Australian culture and lifestyle. Learn how to improve your cross-cultural communication skills, make friends, manage your time and improve your confidence when interacting with others.
A great opportunity to meet and talk with other students. Lunch is provided for students who attend the sessions immediately before or after lunch.
1pm: Happy and healthy! (and what to do if you get sick)
Find the answers to these and any other questions you have:
- When I’m sick at home I go to the hospital, but I heard I shouldn’t do that in Australia. Is that true? Where can I go?
- Do I have to pay when I go to the doctor? How much? How can I find a doctor where I don’t have to pay?
- I’m feeling unwell, but I’m not sure if I need to go to the doctor. Is there someone at the university I can talk to?
You'll also get tips on healthy eating, exercise and general wellbeing. Learn how to access health advice when you need it. Find out what to do in an emergency. Staying healthy helps you stay happy!
2pm: How to look for a part-time job in Australia
Finding a job in Australia takes more than good luck!
Job application processes and resumés change from country to country. Find out about job seeking in Australia including resumé styles, what to include in (and leave out of) Australian job applications, information about work rights and working conditions, the free services provided by VU Learning Hub.
Learn what you can do now that will be helpful for your future career job search and finding a part time job now.
3pm: VU Ready 1: VU's IT environment
This session is running on 13 July only. Those who attend orientation on 17 July can attend a Get VU Ready session instead.
This hands-on introduction to VU's IT environment will guide you through each VU system to save you working everything out by yourself!
The session will provide information about login and password setting and include systems such as:
- student email
- VU Collaborate – the student management system
- VU LearnHub – the app to find and book your essential activities
- VU website, including the library website and search functionality
- LH Tutoring – 24/7 online tutoring for all students.
Register for the sessions that interest you.
- Register for sessions on 13 July at City Flinders Campus (VU Polytechnic, VU College Diploma and Postgraduate Business students, or students who start classes in the week beginning 16 July)
- Register for sessions on 19 July at Footscray Park Campus (bachelor students and semester 2 postgraduate students, or students who start classes in the week beginning 23 July)
This event has already taken place.