Public transport - trains, trams & buses

Melbourne has a public transport network of trains, trams and buses servicing all parts of the city and outer suburbs. It's reliable, safe and easy to use.

Use the Public Transport Victoria (PTV) journey planner to help you plan your route to VU by public transport.

myki - for trains, trams & buses

The myki public transport ticketing system uses a plastic smart card that you store value on to pay for your fares. It works in metropolitan Melbourne and some regional areas.

Visit the Public Transport Victoria (PTV) website for comprehensive information on public transport including timetables, routes, maps, journey planners fares and concession cards.

See Melbourne by taking a ride on:

Buy your myki card and start travelling Melbourne!

PTV Tertiary ID - concession for residents

​​If you're a Victorian undergraduate student studying full time on campus (in an approved course), you may be eligible for a Concession myki.​

Check your eligibility on the PTV website.

International Student Travel Pass

International students (including New Zealand citizens) are able to apply for an International Student Travel Pass. The International Student Travel Pass is a public transport travel discount scheme for international students.

The pass allows you to purchase a 365 day myki card at a 50% discount off the full fare rate.

The pass can be used on all Public Transport Victoria (PTV) trains, trams and buses in the myki zone/s in which your education institution is located.

Before you apply for a International Student Travel Pass myki ticket, estimate much you will need to spend on travel and decide whether to purchase a yearly ticket.

Purchasing a yearly (365 day) International Student Travel Pass will only be worthwhile if you plan to travel regularly in zones one and two for a full year. To find out more about public transport fares visit the PTV website's International students page.

Eligibility for the International Student Travel Pass

To be eligible for this pass, you must:

  • be an international student (or a New Zealand citizen) enrolled in a full-time load (48 credit points per semester)
  • be enrolled at VU and studying a bachelor (including honours), diploma, advanced diploma or associate degree
  • have over 12 months’ (or two semesters) of full time study left to complete your course
  • have a valid VU student card
  • have an active VU student email account.

If you are enrolled in postgraduate, VE/TAFE certificate or ELICOS study, or you are studying in Australia as part of a student exchange or study abroad program you will not be eligible for an International Student Travel Pass.

Apply for an International Student Travel Pass

To obtain an International Student Travel Pass, you will need to:

  1. enrol in a full time load in semesters 1 and 2
  2. activate your VU student email account
  3. obtain your student card
  4. apply for an International Student Travel Pass registration code (with VU) online
  5. use the unique code provided by VU to purchase your International Student Travel Pass online from Public Transport Victoria (you will need to have your registration code).

Other public transport options

The City of Melbourne website details other types of public transport you may take when getting around Melbourne.

It also includes useful information for people with a disability around accessible transport options.

Public transport complaints

The Public Transport Ombudsman (PTO) is a fair, free and fast service to sort out public transport complaints and make the system better for everyone. They look at issues like myki, reliability of services, accessibility and the conduct of staff including Authorised Officers. If you have a complaint about public transport, you can contact the PTO by telephone on 1800 466 865 or visit