International students (including New Zealand citizens) are able to apply for an International Student Travel Pass. The International Student Travel Pass is a public transport travel discount scheme for international students.
The pass allows you to purchase a 365 day myki card at a 50% discount off the full fare rate.
The pass can be used on all Public Transport Victoria (PTV) trains, trams and buses in the myki zone/s in which your education institution is located.
Before you apply for a International Student Travel Pass myki ticket, estimate much you will need to spend on travel and decide whether to purchase a yearly ticket.
Purchasing a yearly (365 day) International Student Travel Pass will only be worthwhile if you plan to travel regularly in zones one and two for a full year. To find out more about public transport fares visit the PTV website's International students page.
Eligibility for the International Student Travel Pass
To be eligible for this pass, you must:
- be an international student (or a New Zealand citizen) enrolled in a full-time load (48 credit points per semester)
- be enrolled at VU and studying a bachelor (including honours), diploma, advanced diploma or associate degree
- have over 12 months’ (or two semesters) of full time study left to complete your course
- have a valid VU student card
- have an active VU student email account.
If you are enrolled in postgraduate, VE/TAFE certificate or ELICOS study, or you are studying in Australia as part of a student exchange or study abroad program you will not be eligible for an International Student Travel Pass.
Apply for an International Student Travel Pass
To obtain an International Student Travel Pass, you will need to:
- enrol in a full time load in semesters 1 and 2
- activate your VU student email account
- obtain your student card
- apply for an International Student Travel Pass registration code (with VU) online
- use the unique code provided by VU to purchase your International Student Travel Pass online from Public Transport Victoria (you will need to have your registration code).