The Academic Board is the principal academic and education advisory body in the University.
Academic Board Membership
The Academic Board is composed of ex-officio members and internal members including teaching and research staff, professional staff and students.
Chairperson: Associate Professor Tom Clark
Phone: +61 3 9919 2196
Email: [email protected]
Deputy Chairperson: Associate Professor Randall Robinson
Phone: +61 3 9919 2885
Email: [email protected]
Two staff elected by and from each teaching and research staff from each College:
- Dr Jean Hopman (Arts & Education)
- Associate Professor Jeannie Rea (Arts & Education)
- Dr Jayce Naidoo (VUBS)
- Dr Guneratne Wickremasinghe (VUBS)
- Associate Professor Alasdair McAndrew (Engineering & Science)
- Dr Roan Plotz (Engineering & Science)
- Dr Annie Venville (Health & Biomedicine)
- Associate Professor Gayelene Boardman (Health & Biomedicine)
- Dr Robert Walters (Law & Justice)
- Dr Christopher Brien (Law & Justice)
- Associate Professor Sharna Spittle (Sport & Exercise Science)
- Dr Matthew Clarkson (Sport & Exercise Science)
- Hannah Bornsztejn (VU College)
- Richard Holland (VU College)
- Vacant (VU Polytechnic)
- Maria Juj (VU Polytechnic)
- Raquel Licciardi (Partnerships & Innovation)
- Vacant (Partnerships and Innovation)
- Jesse Singh (First Year College)
- Associate Professor Tom Clark (First Year College)
- Vacant (VU Research)
- Associate Professor Randall Robinson (VU Research).
Two members elected by and from teaching and research staff who work in organisational units other than a College:
Four members elected by and from professional staff:
- Karen Sievewright
- Sarah Purnell
- Elizabeth McCarthy
- Jessica Serpiello.
One member elected by and from Indigenous staff:
- Karen Jackson.
One student elected by and from enrolled in each of the following courses of study:
- Alice Growden (higher education degree by coursework)
- Cara Brown (higher degree by research)
- Vacant (Vocational and/or Further Education)
- Mughees Raza (onshore international students).
The Vice-Chancellor as the University's Chief Academic Officer:
- Adam Shoemaker
Members of staff who hold positions determined by the Vice-Chancellor after consultation with the Academic Board:
Academic Board Functions
- report to, and advise the Council on issues relating to the academic and educational activities of the University;
- to provide governance oversight of:
- the maintenance of academic standards, including mechanisms for external input in accordance with international conventions for good academic practice;
- policy matters relating to teaching, learning, research and knowledge exchange;
- the promotion of good teaching, learning, research practices and knowledge exchange;
- quality assurance in teaching, learning, research and knowledge exchange within the University;
- course approvals;
- learning, teaching, research and knowledge exchange involving partners and third parties.
- Any other functions conferred by University legislation.
Academic Board meetings
The Academic Board meetings commence at 9am and are held at the Footscray Park Campus.
- Wednesday 3 February
- Wednesday 3 March
- Wednesday 7 April
- Wednesday 5 May
- Wednesday 2 June
- Wednesday 4 August
- Wednesday 1 September
- Wednesday 6 October
- Wednesday 3 November
- Wednesday 1 December