This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to spread and compact materials manually in civil construction, including conducting compaction machine operational checks, directing vehicles and materials, directing machine operator to spread materials and operating mechanical compaction equipment.It applies to those working in operational roles. They generally work under supervision to undertake a prescribed range of functions involving known routines and procedures and take some responsibility for the quality of work outcomes.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* spread and compact materials manually on at least two occasions, including:
* completing the hand spreading and the mechanical (hand operated) compaction of two different material types to site specification.
* During the above, the candidate must:
* locate and apply required legislation, documentation, policies and procedures
* identify, report and record hazards and risks
* implement the requirements, procedures and techniques for the manual spreading and compacting of materials, including:
* selecting and using required tools and equipment
* carrying out equipment pre-start, start-up and shutdown procedures
* conducting practical field tests for moisture content, shrinkage and compaction
* work with others to spread and compact materials manually to meet required outcomes, including:
* communicating to direct operators
* using communication techniques and equipment to convey information to others, including signage to advise others of work activity and exclusion zones
* completing reporting requirements and procedures.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):