This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to deliver quality customer service and sell to retail customers. It requires the ability to determine customer needs, match products and services to their needs, and facilitate a sale.
This unit applies to all retail sectors and business sizes from large format stores to small independents. It applies to retail personnel at all levels who play a role in engaging with customers with the purpose of selling.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• interact with four different retail customers to initiate and close the sale of different retail products or services
• demonstrate the following during the above customer interactions:
• appropriate communication
• establishment and clarification of customer needs, wants and expectations
• product and/or service knowledge
• appropriate sales approach to sell benefits and features of products and/or services
• overcome objections and close sales
• upsell and/or cross sell additional products and/or services that complement the sale
• promotion of customer loyalty and repeat sales.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the Polytechnic and/or via the Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):