This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to provide waxing services to remove unwanted facial and body hair.It requires the ability to consult with clients to select suitable wax products to provide waxing services. The waxing service can be a single service or form part of a series of services.
This unit applies to beauticians and beauty therapists who work in beauty or hair removal salons. In this environment they work as part of a team and make independent decisions within a defined range.In this environment they work as part of a team and make independent decisions within a defined range.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• provide a minimum of four waxing services on each of the following treatment areas (total of 24 waxes), using hot wax or strip wax according to client requirements:
• bikini line
• any one or a combination of the following:
• sides of face
• when performing the above waxing services, use hot wax on a minimum of six of the services
• when performing the above waxing services, more than one area may be waxed within the same client treatment in order to minimise the number of different clients required
• perform at least two of the above waxing services for each of the listed treatment areas (at least 12 waxes) during a period of at least 38 hours of work in a commercial beauty therapy salon. Skills must be demonstrated in a simulated environment prior to being demonstrated in a beauty therapy salon environment
• during the above waxing services, demonstrate the following techniques:
• maintenance of correct wax temperature
• skin support
• correct direction of application and removal of wax
• hand pressure to alleviate pain
• removal of most unwanted hair
• develop and update treatment plans and records for each of the above clients specifying details of:
• client feedback
• products used
• hair analysis
• outcomes of treatment
• relevant medical history and medications
• waxing service performed
• aftercare recommendations and advice.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):