This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to provide a complete customer salon service experience.
It requires the ability to communicate with clients face-to-face or by telephone, schedule appointments, complete salon treatments, attend and respond to client complaints, and assist clients with special needs.
This unit applies to workers in personal service environments including beauty and hairdressing salons, nail salons and spas. In these environments, they make routine service decisions within a defined range.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• integrate hairdressing or beauty technical skills, and provide customer service and treatments to hairdressing or beauty clients for a minimum of six, three hour work periods that individually or in combination demonstrate:
• accessing client records
• appropriate verbal and non-verbal communication
• correct telephone techniques
• dealing with clients appropriately, taking into account:
• diversity needs
• cultural needs
• non-gender specific identities
• dealing with difficult or abusive clients
• effective questioning and active listening techniques to establish client needs
• face to face communication techniques
• greeting and farewelling techniques for before, during and after client treatments
• interpreting and maintaining client records
• receiving clients and making appointments
• resolving complaints with remedial actions
• scheduling client appointments.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):