This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to provide micro-dermabrasion treatments using pre-set systems to exfoliate the skin of the body or face.
It requires the ability to establish priorities with the client, use knowledge of the effects of treatment on skin structure, and design and provide a safe and effective treatment. Micro-dermabrasion treatments can be provided as an individual service or form part of a series of services.
This unit applies to beauty therapists who work in beauty salons. In this environment they work in a team but exercise judgment in selecting and providing an appropriate treatment.The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• provide a total of five micro-dermabrasion face treatments
• treat skin requiring improvement for the above clients in any three of the following:
-oily or congested skin
• use at least one of the following equipment types when providing above treatments:
-diamond tip micro-dermabrasion
• provide pre-treatment advice for the above clients that covers:
-pre-treatment products and skin care regime
-skin concerns contraindicated to micro-dermabrasion
• design and update treatment plan and records for each of the above clients specifying details of:
-client feedback and adverse reactions
-contraindications and conditions
• number and directions of passes, equipment parameters and products used
-previous and current treatment
-post treatment care advice and products
-recommended future treatments
-relevant medical history and medications
treatment duration, areas treated and not treated
• design and provide treatment routines that demonstrate appropriate application and modification of each of the following micro-dermabrasion techniques:
-position of attachment
-number of passes
-direction of passes
-vacuum and crystal flow settings or texture of diamond tip
• for the above clients provide safe treatments demonstrating application of health and hygiene regulations and skin penetration guidelines demonstrating:
-disinfection of treatment area
-disposal of infectious and non-infectious waste
-disposal of single use equipment
-equipment sterilisation and disinfection as required
-prevention of blood-to-blood contact
-use of disposable equipment
-use of personal protection equipment for operator and client
• treat clients without damaging skin.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the VUPolytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):