This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to provide aromatherapy massages using blended aromatic plant oils.
It requires the ability to establish priorities with clients, and synthesise knowledge of skin science and lifestyle factors to select aromatic oils and massage techniques to meet client needs. Aromatherapy massage can be a single treatment, or form part of a series of treatments.
This unit applies to beauty and spa therapists who work in beauty salons, massage clinics and spas. In this environment they work as part of a team but make independent treatment decisions. They have knowledge of aromatherapy massage techniques and blended oils.
The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• provide five safe and appropriate aromatherapy massages to different clients that cover at least three of the following established client objectives:
-depression or anxiety
-detox and clearing
-muscular tension relief
• explain to the above clients, effects and benefits of blended oils listed in Knowledge Evidence and recommended aromatherapy treatment on body systems
• design and provide treatment routines for each of the above clients that demonstrate appropriate selection, application and combination of the following aromatherapy massage movements:
• provide aromatherapy massage treatments that demonstrate appropriate variation in rhythm and repetition of movements
• design a series of four treatments for three of the above clients to address ongoing needs of each client
• develop, record and update treatment plans and records for each of the above clients specifying details of:
-contraindications and conditions
-products and blended oils used
-outcomes of previous and current treatment
-post treatment lifestyle and product advice
-relevant medical history and medication
-treatment duration, areas treated and areas not treated
-recommended future treatments.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the VUPolytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):