This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to prepare to work in the building and construction industries in regard to developing knowledge of the industry sectors and environmental sustainability practices. It includes the ability to determine opportunities and pathways, take responsibility for own workplace learning and skill development and apply for work in the building and construction industries.The unit applies to learners who develop basic skills and knowledge to prepare them for the working environment in the building and construction industries.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each units learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• outline the different streams and sectors in the building and construction industries
• identify common environmental and resource efficiency requirements and work practices that apply to the building and construction industries
• identify employment services and opportunities
• develop a career pathway plan in the building and construction sectors based on personal goals
• develop a resume for work in the building and construction industries
• apply job interview skills at a simulated job interview.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the VU Polytechnic and/or via the Victoria University Polytechnic e-Learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):