This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to support the work of a legal office, practice or associated context, by operating according to legislative protocols and organisational policies and procedures.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• interpersonal communication skills to work with a wide range of internal and external professionals, barristers and solicitors, legal executive officers, and relevant specialist personnel and clients, under direction
• research and analytical skills to:
• work in an area of legal interest
• interpret information
• numeracy skills to complete file account tasks, and other relevant financial requirements
• technological skills to operate office equipment and legal-related software
• professional skills to adhere to legal industry code of conduct related to ethics, integrity, professionalism, confidentiality and risk management
• negotiation and organisational skills to negotiate and manage settlements
• organisational skills to:
• prepare documents and reports
• keep and maintain hard- and softcopy records and files
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by Victoria University Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):