This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to carry out basic setting out for a building site.This unit applies to pre-apprentices who under close supervision and guidance, develop a defined and limited range of skills and knowledge in preparing them for entering the working environment within the carpentry industry. They use little judgement and follow instructions specified by the supervisor. On entering the industry, it is intended that further training will be required for this specific skill to ensure trade level standard.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each units learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• complete set out for one rectangular and one L-shaped building according to a plan for a specific building.
• square a corner of a building set out using the 3, 4, 5 triangle method.
In completing the above, there must also be evidence that the learner has:
• complied with relevant safety regulations, codes of practice and work plans
• applied safety and sustainable work practices
• communicated and worked effectively with others
• selected and used required materials, tools and equipment for set out, including levelling device
• checked heights of profiles or hurdles are transferred
• cleaned up and stored tools and equipment after setting out.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the VU Polytechnic and/or via the Victoria University Polytechnic e-Learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):