This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to operate small plant and equipment in the resources and infrastructure industries.It applies to those working in operational roles. They generally work under supervision to undertake a prescribed range of functions involving known routines and procedures and take responsibility for the quality of own work outcomes.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* operate small plant and equipment on at least two different occasions, including:
* conducting pre-operational checks
* identifying and managing site hazards
* identifying and using correct operating techniques to achieve optimum output while maintaining specified tolerances
* correctly storing equipment
* completing operator maintenance
* clearing the work area.
* During the above, the candidate must:
* locate and apply required documentation, policies and procedures and confirm that the work activity is compliant
* implement the requirements, procedures and techniques required to operate small plant and equipment
* work with others to undertake the operation of small plant and equipment
* communicate with others to receive and clarify work instructions and to determine coordination requirements prior to commencing and during work activities.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):