This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to install basic timber or manufactured external cladding.This unit applies to pre-apprentices who under close supervision and guidance, develop a defined and limited range of skills and knowledge in preparing them for entering the working environment within the carpentry industry. They use little judgement and follow instructions specified by the supervisor. On entering the industry, it is intended that further training will be required for this specific skill to ensure trade level standard.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each units learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• straighten (plane and pack) wall in preparation to receive weatherboards
• install and set out weatherboard stop showing spacing of weatherboards and lap
• install weatherboards to stops on a wall frame and two openings (one for a window and one for a door) with flashings.
In completing the above, there must also be evidence that the learner has:
• complied with relevant safety regulations, code of practice and work plans
• participated in sustainable work practices
• selected and appropriately used PPE
• communicated and worked effectively with others, including using appropriate terminology
• selected and used appropriate materials, tools and equipment for external cladding
• cleaned up and stored tools and equipment after external cladding installation.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each units learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):