This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to apply facial make-up products for day, evening or special occasions.It requires the ability to consult with clients, analyse face and skin, and to demonstrate and apply make-up products to suit client needs or make-up brief.
This unit applies to beauticians and beauty therapists, retail assistants, and make-up freelancers who work in beauty salons, retail cosmetic outlets, and settings that provide make-up services. In this environment they make routine service decisions within a defined range and have knowledge and skills of a variety of make-up products and application techniques.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• apply safe and appropriate make-up for the following client requirements:
• two different day events
• two different evening events
• when demonstrating application of make-up to the above clients, demonstration must include at least three different skin colours or ethnic backgrounds of varying ages
• design and record make-up plan for each client specifying details of:
• areas requiring corrective make-up
• client image and occasion
• colour analysis and design
• contraindications to make-up services
• facial shape
• highlighting and shading
• products and application techniques
• skin types and conditions
• during the above applications demonstrate each of the following techniques:
• colour matching to clients
• winged liner
• blending cosmetic
• contouring and highlighting
• during the above applications demonstrate safe and correct use of each of the following make-up products:
• eye shadows
• false lashes
• liquid and solid foundations
• lip gloss
• lip liners
• pre make-up stabilisers or primers
• skin care.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):