This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to conduct financial transactions for the sale of products and services within a personal services environment.
It requires the ability to operate point-of-sale equipment, handle cash, complete sales and reconcile takings.
This unit applies to workers in personal service environments including beauty and hairdressing salons, nail salons and spas. In this environment they work within known routines and guidelines and use a limited range of equipment.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• operate electronic point-of-sale equipment to accurately perform each of the following transactions on at least two occasions:
• cash sales
• non-cash sales:
• credit card
• refunds and exchanges
• demonstrate the following secure payment handling procedures on at least two occasions:
• balancing point-of-sale terminal
• calculating non-cash documents
• clearing terminal and transferring tender
• counting cash
• determining change required and denominations of change
• ensuring security of cash and non-cash transactions
• maintaining cash float
• opening and closing of point-of-sale terminal
• recording takings
• securing cash and non-cash transactions
• tendering change.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):