This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to work in a personal services environment by integrating knowledge of workplace rights and responsibilities and organisational policies and procedures, and by using effective team and individual work practices to plan and organise daily work activities.
This unit applies to workers in personal service environments including beauty and hairdressing salons, nail salons and spas. In these environments they make routine service decisions within a defined range in the context of organisational goals, customer service values and standards.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• access and interpret information about employment rights and responsibilities from credible sources
• source and produce a summary of key information for own use on employee and employer workplace rights and responsibilities that include:
• Fair Work Act 2009: minimum workplace entitlements
• relevant state or territory anti-discrimination or equal employment opportunity law
• industrial awards for hairdressing and beauty employees
• access and interpret organisational policies and procedures for one hairdressing or beauty organisation to share with colleagues to enable understanding that relate to general work practices:
• accepting, declining and amending rostered hours
• personal and carer’s leave
• counselling and discipline
• equal employment opportunity
• discrimination and harassment
• terms and conditions of employment
• integrate hairdressing or beauty technical skills and comply with organisation requirements for a minimum of four, three hour work periods that individually or in combination demonstrate:
• applying workplace dress, hygiene and personal presentation requirements
• working effectively as a team member
• planning and organising work activities.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):