This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to communicate in the workplace in the resources and infrastructure industries and other industries with relevant work practices and procedures.It applies to those working in operational roles. They generally work under supervision to undertake a prescribed range of functions involving known routines and procedures and take some responsibility for the quality of own work outcomes.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* communicate in the workplace on at least two occasions, including:
* identifying communication strategies and systems
* operating communications systems and equipment to convey meaning to others
* communicating clearly and promptly to others to convey information and meaning
* listening carefully to instructions and information
* participating in group discussions and engage with group members respectfully
* asking questions to clarify meaning
* communicating concisely both written and verbally
* interpreting communications devices
* identifying and reporting communication faults and deficiencies.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):