This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to carry out measurements and calculations in the resources and infrastructure industries. It includes using measurements and calculations to estimate quantities for various work activities.It applies to those working in operational roles. They generally work under supervision to undertake a prescribed range of functions involving known routines and procedures and take responsibility for the quality of own work outcomes.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* carry out measurements and calculations on at least two different occasions, including:
* completing measurements, calculations and estimations of quantities for projects of varying complexity
* measuring using a rule or tape measure for a variety of tasks with 100% accuracy.
* During the above, the candidate must:
* locate and apply relevant documentation, policies and procedures and confirm that the work activity is complaint
* implement the requirements, procedures and techniques for carrying out measurements and calculations, including:
* work with others to undertake and complete measurements and calculations, including:
* using a range of communications techniques and equipment
* complying with written and verbal reporting requirements and procedures
* communicate with others to receive and clarify work instructions and to determine coordination requirements prior to commencing and during work activities.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):