This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to carry out manual excavation in civil construction, including confirming the location of underground services, manually excavating, placing barricades and isolating the excavation.It applies to those working in operational roles. They generally work under supervision to undertake a prescribed range of functions involving known routines and procedures and take some responsibility for the quality of work outcomes.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* carry out manual excavation on at least two occasions, including:
* identifying the location of underground services
* digging post holes, small pits and trenches to the required dimensions
* applying trench collapse prevention procedures in unstable ground.
* During the above, the candidate must:
* locate and apply relevant documentation, policies and procedures
* identify, report and record hazards and risks
* implement the requirements, procedures and techniques for carrying out manual excavation, including using manual excavation tools
* work with others to carry out manual excavation to meet required outcomes, including:
* communicating with others to receive and clarify work instructions
* using communications techniques and equipment to convey information to others, including signage to advise others of work activity and exclusion zones
* complying with reporting requirements and procedures.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):