This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to apply risk management processes in the mining, drilling and civil infrastructure industry.This unit applies to individuals who contribute to applying risk management processes as part of their responsibilities. This could be an employer, line manager, supervisor, safety representative or employee. This unit applies to those who carry out or assist in carrying out risk assessment in the workplace.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* applying planning and organising skills to the risk management processes
* identifying or sourcing criteria to determine unacceptable risk
* identifying and recognising type and scope of hazards and their impact
* assessing and determining the consequence, likelihood and level of potential risk
* identifying unacceptable risk using the acceptable/unacceptable criteria
* assessing options for appropriate controls and implementing accordingly
* identifying and obtaining required resources
* preparing and maintaining written records and report requirements
* reviewing risk management documentation
* identifying and recommending controls
* contributing to the implementation of controls.
* In the course of the above work the candidate must also:
* locate and apply relevant documentation, policies and procedures
* apply relevant operational information
* apply industry terminology
* demonstrate the ability to engage with workers reporting to you, co-workers, and supervisors in the risk management processes
* communicate clearly and concisely with others to receive and clarify work instructions and to coordinate work activities
* meet written and verbal reporting requirements and procedures associated with risk management processes.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):