Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- use infection control precautions, health regulations and organisational policies and procedures to maintain, clean (and disinfect, as required), and;
- check electrical equipment located in each of the two chosen areas for loose wires; tag and report any faulty equipment.
Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- the transmission routes of infectious conditions as they apply to cleaning and disinfection activities;
- key features of, and reasons for, standard infection-control precautions as they apply to cleaning and disinfection activities;
- key aspects of local government, state or territory health regulations applicable to hairdressing and barbering services, with particular emphasis on requirements for cleaning and disinfecting linen, tools, equipment, work surfaces and areas;
- common types of cleaning and disinfection products;
- safe practices for using and storing;
- environmentally sound disposal methods for hazardous waste;
- safe techniques for maintaining tools and equipment to avoid personal injury;
- safe manual handling techniques for moving and storing hairdressing or barbering equipment; those for bending, lifting and carrying heavy equipment;
- types and correct use of personal protection equipment for maintaining hairdressing or barbering equipment and completing cleaning and disinfection activities;
- manufacturer's instructions and techniques for cleaning, oiling and resetting scissors and clippers, and;
- industry practices and organisational policies and procedures.