Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- consult with at least five (5) clients, each with different beard and moustache maintenance needs, recommend appropriate designs and complete services which consistently achieve desired outcomes to client satisfaction;
- for each client, complete a pre-service analysis covering the following characteristics to determine service requirements: facial features and bone structure; hair texture; hair density; growth patterns of facial and neck hair; blemishes or moles;
- integrate the use of health, safety and hygiene practices and procedures and use these cutting techniques cumulatively across the services completed: scissor over-comb; clipper over-comb; clippers with comb guards; shaving.
Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- key characteristics and interrelationships of the elements and principles of hair design and use in creating effects which balance and emphasise facial characteristics;
- characteristics of the following beard, moustache, facial and skin features, how these will impact on the finished cut and appropriate designs for best outcomes: facial shape and bone structure; hair texture; hair density; natural distribution and growth patterns of facial and neck hair; blemishes or moles;
- shapes and structure for beards and moustaches;
- relationship between size of the comb and finished effect;
- the effects on skin and facial hair of: pre-conditioning products and hot towels; after-shave conditioning products and cold towels;
- shaving patterns and directions, in relation to hair growth, and the impact on the finished result;
- cleaning techniques and uses of cleaning and disinfection products for beard and moustache cutting equipment;
- basic aspects of local government, state or territory health regulations, and;
- industry practices and organisational procedures.