Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- consult with at least six (6) clients and complete a pre-service analysis covering the following characteristics to design and recommend appropriate tapered haircuts: facial features and bone structure; natural hair type; hair texture; hair density; growth patterns; fall and movement;
- complete haircuts for the above six clients to their satisfaction and cumulatively achieve these taper effects across the haircut completed: gradation; long; medium; short, and;
- create these neckline shapes and lengths cumulatively across the tapered haircuts completed: short, medium and long tapered; square, curved, faded and blended.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- different facial shapes and haircut designs which best complement particular shapes;
- characteristics of the following hair features, how these will impact on finished tapered haircuts and appropriate designs for best outcomes: natural hair types; hair texture; hair movement; natural distribution and growth patterns of hair;
- shapes, structure and texture for tapered and layered haircut structures;
- starting point, sectioning and parting patterns and the impact on the finished result for tapered and layered haircut structures;
- relationship between size of the comb and tapering effects;
- maintenance requirements for clippers; when and how to clean, oil and adjust blades;
- cleaning techniques and uses of cleaning and disinfection products for haircutting equipment;
- basic aspects of local government, state or territory health regulations for hygiene and infection control for haircutting services, and;
- industry practices and organisational procedures.