Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- consult with at least three (3) clients and complete a pre-service analysis covering the following characteristics to create and recommend appropriate graduated hair cut designs: facial features and bone structure; natural hair type; hair texture; hair density; growth patterns; fall and movement;
- complete graduated haircuts for the above three clients to their satisfaction and cumulatively use these cutting techniques across the haircuts completed: blunt cutting; notching; pressure graduation.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- different facial shapes and graduated haircut designs which best complement particular shapes;
- characteristics of the following hair features, how these will impact on finished graduated haircuts and appropriate designs for best outcomes: natural hair types; hair texture; hair movement; natural distribution and growth patterns of hair;
- shapes, structure and texture for graduated haircut structures;
- starting point, sectioning and parting patterns and the impact on the finished result for graduated haircut structures;
- required angle of scissors to base parting to achieve graduated haircut structures;
- relationship between angle of fingers, angle of scissors and amount of pressure when using pressure graduation for graduated hair structures;
- importance of client head position and impact on finished haircut result;
- cleaning techniques and uses of cleaning and disinfection products for haircutting equipment;
- basic aspects of local government, state or territory health regulations for hygiene and infection control for haircutting services, and;
- industry practices and organisational procedures.