Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- identified at least 4 appropriate times for hand washing and followed correct hand washing procedures;
- cleaned and tidied work areas at least 2 times to avoid contamination and pests;
- identified at least 2 food items for disposal and followed food disposal procedures, and;
- identified, corrected and reported at least 2 processes or practices that were not consistent with food safety program.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- food safety program and procedures and consequences of not following these procedures;
- current national, state or territory food safety laws, standards and codes;
- food hazards and major causes of food contamination and food-borne illnesses;
- sources and effects of microbiological contamination of food;
- personal hygiene requirements;
- workplace hygiene hazards when handling food and food contact surfaces, and;
- minimum hand washing occasions.