Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- must produce one word of gilded lettering on two different sign surfaces selected from the following: glass; metal; stained timber.
In doing the above work, the person must:
- prepare the sign surface using selected materials and processes;
- lay out sign design accurately to scale on sign surface and apply a decorative technique to the lettering, and;
- clean finished sign and surface area.
Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- theory of letter spacing when laying out signs;
- methods and application of design transfer;
- range and use of gilding materials and their characteristics;
- techniques for gilding and producing gilded surfaces;
- methods for identifying dimensions, symbols, abbreviations and key features of signs from sign designs and drawings;
- purpose and application of the following when applying gilding to signs: safety data sheets (SDS); safe work method statements (SWMS);
- techniques for measuring and setting out layout of signs to be gilded;
- preparation techniques for surfaces used in gilding signs;
- workplace, statutory and regulatory authority requirements relevant to handling materials used in gilding sign;
- terminology and use of abbreviations in the signs and graphics industry;
- traditional and contemporary font styles, and;
- types and characteristics of tools and equipment used to apply water gilding.