Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
A person demonstrating competency in this unit must satisfy all of the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, and must produce three vinyl signs using a vinyl plotter according to the following specifications:
- one sign containing only lettering in a single colour, and;
- one sign containing lettering and a simple graphic, consisting of at least three different colours.
Each sign must be applied to a different surface selected from the following: glass; metal; plastic, and; vehicle body.
In producing each sign, the person must ensure no damage to the vinyl during the weeding or cutting processes. In the event of damage caused, the person must demonstrate correct procedures to rectify or reproduce the vinyl sign.
In applying the sign to each surface, the person must: correctly use materials to prepare the surface; apply the signs at the specified heights and levels, and; check for damage to the vinyl or surface that could have occurred during the application process and rectify damage.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- attributes, characteristics and composition of different vinyl types used to produce signs;
- functionality and operation of vinyl plotters used to produce vinyl signs, including: blade offset setting; blade types; cleaning and maintenance requirements; cutting pressure and speeds appropriate to the task; test cut requirements, and; vinyl tracking characteristics;
- functions and limitations of relevant graphic design software used in producing vinyl signs;
- impact of different temperatures on vinyl application;
- legislation, codes and standards relevant to the specific production work in performance evidence;
- principles of vinyl cutting, and;
- terminology used in signs.