Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- safely supported at least 2 individuals by performing the activities outlined in the performance criteria of this unit. This includes following support requirements of an established individualised plan and supporting each of the following activities: bed bathing; dressing, undressing and grooming; eating and drinking using appropriate feeding techniques; oral hygiene; shaving; showering; toileting and the use of continence aids; using aids and equipment including devices used by the person;
- performed the following hazardous manual handling scenarios at least once: transferring a person between bed and chair; transferring a person in and out of car and falls recovering.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- different contexts for provision of personal support and impacts on the way services are provided;
- role and responsibilities of the personal support providers and workers;
- concepts of enablement and re-ablement;
- legal and ethical requirements related to the provision of personal support, and how these are applied in an organisation and individual practice;
- basics of: body hygiene; grooming; oral hygiene; human body system;
- personal safety and security risks associated with provision of personal support and strategies to minimise those risks;
- features, functions and safe use of equipment and aids used in provision of personal support and devices used by the person including the importance of adjusting equipment and aids to the needs of the individual;
- techniques for completing physical support routines;
- infection control procedures, and;
- organisational reporting technologies.