After studying a different field, Lucienne Galea pursued her real passion in Law. Several prestigious awards, nominations and her dream job later, this legal young gun's never looking back.
“I was always interested in law, since I took a crime and punishment class in Year 10, but it wasn’t until I finished my Arts/Business degree that I felt ready to pursue Law. I enrolled in VU’s Graduate Entry Honours dissertation program.
I was working full time, so VU’s flexibility and the location of the City Queen Campus appealed to me for both my job and being in the heart of the court district.
VU has offered me so many great opportunities – from overseas study (in Vienna to observe a UN working group), to court internship programs and success in international mooting competitions. It’s all added to my experience and it’s what employers are really looking for.
My greatest career achievement is securing my current position as a trainee lawyer at Nicholsons Lawyers & Consultants where I’m completing my supervised legal training. I first started there as a volunteer legal researcher, and was offered part-time work as a law clerk before gaining my current role.
I also volunteer as secretary of the Williamstown Community Education Centre where I help provide governance oversight and strategic planning.
The law is still a man’s world, but it is changing. The industry is recognising the valuable contribution female lawyers make. I’m so happy to have my achievements recognised amongst some of the strongest and most inspiring women I know.”
Team mooting competitions
- 2015 – Best Newcomer Award and Spirit of the Jessup Award, Jessup Mooting Competition
- 2017 – CIArb Australian Vis pre-moot, ranked highest scoring team
- 2017 – Plesner Pre-Moot, Copenhagen, runner-up
- 2018 – Semi-finalists, Victorian Women’s Lawyers Warren Moot (the VU team was the only student team to make the semi-final among professional entrants)
- 2018 – Law Institute of Victoria awards for Law Student of the Year (top 3)
- 2018 – Australian Law Awards for Law Student of the Year (top 10)
- 2018 – Women in Law Awards for Law Student of the Year (top 10)
Want to enter the legal world?
If you have an existing degree, fast-track your studies with the Bachelor of Laws Graduate Entry.
Find out more about the industry experience you'll gain with Law courses at VU.
Or consider a Law pathway from TAFE to degree.